Re: [linux-audio-user] short piano review )for linuxsampler)

From: Tim Howard <tdhoward@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Jan 31 2007 - 03:22:17 EET

On 1/30/07, Marc-Olivier Barre <mobarre@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
> On 1/28/07, Julien Claassen <julien@email-addr-hidden-lab.de> wrote:
> > Hi all!
> > There was just recently a discussion about pianos, I now bought the "Old
> > Lady" from pmi (post musical instruments) and I feel it's a nice opportunity
> > to give a very short review.
> > without a problem. They said, that the piano is bundled with IRs (Impulse
> > be. I doubted if I could use those. But wonderful: Even they work. The IRs are
>
> I'm interested by this IR thing. Are they embedded in the gig or given
> as separate files ?

The IRs are separate WAV files. Interestingly, the IRs for the Old
Lady body are identical to the ones that ship with the Bosendorfer 290
"Imperial Grand", also available from PMI. So I'm not really sure
which piano body they used for the impulses, but I think it was the
Bosendorfer.

Anyway, I agree, the "Old Lady" is a very nice piano. The bass is
very clear and crisp without being clangy, and the upper end is
mellow. The dry samples work very well for a close, intimate sound,
which is hard to get on a lot of pianos.

For a concert grand sound, try the PMI Bosendorfer 290. The dry
samples don't sound very dry, but if you want a great concert piano
sound, this is the one to get. The thunderous bass and the sparkling
highs give me chills, and I can't even play that well... ;-)

Hope someone finds this useful.

-TimH