Re: [linux-audio-user] Commercial "clone" of ZynAddSubFX?

From: Lars Luthman <lars.luthman@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat Feb 03 2007 - 16:49:25 EET

On Sat, 2007-02-03 at 14:39 +0000, Folderol wrote:
> On Sat, 3 Feb 2007 01:01:18 -0500 (EST)
> Larry Troxler <lt@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
>
> > On Fri, 2 Feb 2007, Ken Restivo wrote:
> > > Wish there were a way to approach all the talented hackers who are
> > > unfortunately wasting their time working on trying to crack it,
> > > and instead get them a copy of the Zyn source, to revamp it from
> > > scratch and make it RT-safe.
> >
> > Zyn isn't RT safe? Could you elaborate or point to a link? I remember
> > reading something about this, and was hoping to use it for live
> > performance.
>
> I have heard several comments to this effect, and also that the code
> in Zyn is 'a nightmare' however I have not heard anything specific that
> one can really get a handle on.

I wouldn't say that it's a "nightmare", but it's not designed with
RT-safety in mind. For example, there is a big mutex protecting some of
the data structures that is locked from the audio thread, from the MIDI
thread (in the case of ALSA MIDI) and from the GUI thread, which will
cause audio glitches if the mutex is busy when the audio thread tries to
lock it. And some other things. The actual synth algorithms are great,
and it would be very nice if someone could clean it up a bit and make it
a proper JACK client (or plugin, or whatever - as long as it's RT-safe).

--ll