Re: [Jackit-devel] [linux-audio-user] pam modules / non root users can't get realtime privileges.

From: Jack O'Quin <jack.oquin@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Feb 05 2007 - 05:40:11 EET

On 2/4/07, Ken Restivo <ken@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 04, 2007 at 04:54:01PM -0800, Fernando Lopez-Lezcano wrote:

> > It looks like the package was built to use capabilities. I don't know
> > what jackd does when it does not find the proper capabilities (which
> > will not be found if you are using pam), whether it still tries to get
> > SCHED_FIFO or if it just gives up, it looks like the later.

I think we handle that correctly, i.e. go ahead and try to set SCHED_FIFO
anyway and use it if available.

The current JACK engine implementation fails if -R is selected and
realtime scheduling is not available. That changed fairly recently,
IIRC, so an older version might continue running in that case.

> What the.... I certainly hope not.
>
> I thought that was a spurious error message to be disregarded, since jackd definitely *is* running with RT priorities, at least on my machine, it reports:
>
> FreeBoB MSG: Streaming thread running with Realtime scheduling, priority 74
> FreeBoB MSG: Registering capture port dev1c_MicIn1 left
>
> And ps says...
> PID CLS RTPRIO NI PRI %CPU STAT COMMAND
> 3423 TS - 0 20 0.0 SLl jackd
> 3423 TS - 0 24 0.0 SLl jackd
> 3423 TS - 0 24 0.0 SLl jackd
> 3423 TS - 0 19 0.0 SLl jackd
> 3423 FF 80 - 120 0.0 SLl jackd
> 3423 FF 70 - 110 1.5 SLl jackd
> 3423 FF 73 - 113 5.6 SLl jackd
> 3423 FF 73 - 113 5.0 SLl jackd
> 3423 FF 84 - 124 0.0 SLl jackd
> 3423 FF 74 - 114 5.4 SLl jackd
>
> Although, I just noticed now that some of those jackd threads aren't running with any RT prio at all. And, I also noticed that the little yellow "RT" in qjackctl isn't lit up either... Is that OK? Or is this a problem?

Several JACK threads are not supposed to run RT.

> I'm standing by and waiting to hear from the jackd developers before filing this with the Debian bug tracking system...
>
> And also waiting to hear back before I go out and blow $400 on a 2.4Ghz CPU....

I can't say what you should do. Looks like it ought to work to me.

--
 joq