Re: [linux-audio-user] donations or sponsoring?

From: oktyabr <oktyabr@email-addr-hidden-studio.org>
Date: Tue Feb 06 2007 - 13:02:06 EET

Interesting idea!

For a couple of years I was a "subscriber" to Transgaming's WineX. $5 a
month bought me a number of votes, three a month if I remember right,
that could be spent on forwarding any of a number of feature requests or
improvements also in part nominated by the subscribers. You could spend
all the votes on one thing or spread them around a bit and the vote
total basically set the developer(s) priority list for the month.

I'm sure they still had internal coding to do... the boring behind the
scenes stuff most users take for granted... but it kept me hooked for
quite awhile. On a more affordable schedule, like the $1/1euro a month
that you are suggesting, even broke users like me could afford to help
support several projects.

It's an excellent idea for sure. I also like the "bounty" idea. I've
seen this pop up in practice spontaneously before! A very busy
community and a user wants a new feature *NOW* and is willing to pay for
it to help get it done quicker. Since all the good projects are open
source that means even if the developer(s) aren't interested in
accepting the bounty a freelance hacker could. I don't think that is as
easy to put together as a paypal based subscription but it might be.

Got me thinking! Nice work on the very quick bug fix too, btw.

- Jon Hoskins

http://www.linux-studio.org

For the artist in everyone!