[linux-audio-user] record from the monitor mixer on ice1712?

From: Thomas Kuther <gimpel@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Feb 08 2007 - 20:26:01 EET

Hello LAUs,

maybe someone here knows how I can record from an ICE1712's Monitor
Mixer using ALSA? I routed the HW in 1/2 to the digital mixer in
envy24control, and now I want to record that, but I'm perhaps just too
stupid to find out how the monitor mixer is called in ALSA.

That device is R/W for sure:
http://www.alsa-project.org/alsa/ftp/datasheets/icensemble/envy24.pdf

Using 4Front's OSS (not the in-kernel) it is as simple as recording
from /dev/dsp4, which is the monitor on my audiophile 2496. But OSS is
a pain when trying to use jack or any recording app like rezound or
audacity with it. This somehow must be possible using ALSA too, not?

I also tried using ALSA's jack plugin, and record with jack_capture, but
a) I get total sound distortion as soon jack_capture starts, and
b) that's one layer too much anyway, as the card can do "loopback"
itself. So i'd prefer ALSA.

Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Tom