Re: [linux-audio-user] Problem with virmidi module

From: Dave Phillips <dlphillips@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Feb 22 2007 - 14:52:09 EET

terrence@email-addr-hidden wrote:

> How could I do this in console mode though? I don't use graphics
>on this computer. I'm using a screen reader, and console mode works best.

First, familiarize yourself with the aconnect utility. This program will
let you make your MIDI connections without a GUI.

Next, you can use virmidi to connect to fluidsynth, or any other ALSA
MIDI client. I use it for connections in DOSemu and in XSteem, it's very
handy. The MIDI Through module is not available to those applications
(it has no device node in /dev/snd/), so virmidi is the only flexible
option.

Finally, fluidsynth can be run entirely from the prompt. Julian Claassen
is the master of command-line Linux audio & MIDI, perhaps he'll join in
this discussion and give some suggestions.

Btw, 'man fluidsynth' and 'fluidsynth -h' are your friends. You should
also look at the manual pages for the ALSA utilities (aconnect,
alsamixer, etc.), they're quite helpful.

Best,

dp