Re: [linux-audio-user] ANN: JOST, a simple host for native VST

From: Paul Davis <paul@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Feb 26 2007 - 16:33:09 EET

On Mon, 2007-02-26 at 14:18 +0100, Michael Bohle wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> The italian DJ and Developer Lucio Asnaghi has made a first preview of simple
> host for native VST on Linux. Native VST for Linux was founded first by

native VST for linux has yet to produce anything concrete at all,
AFAICT. developers of VST plugins are *not* writing plugins for linux.
if you wanted to make native VST on linux easier, the sensible thing to
do is to implement VSTGUI on top of X11 and/or one or more contemporary
toolkits.

if the "best native Linux VST plugins for testing" are the MDA plugins,
then i would have to say that this hasn't accomplished a lot.

> Jorgen Aase /EnergyXT2, but the communication is problematic (also other devs
> reported that Jorgen didn't anwer to any mail), so Lucio decided to make an
> own host, based on the framework JUCE , because he porting a lot of VST
> Synths to Linux. (he also made a great port from ZynAdd Windows VST back to
> Linux VST)
>
> It shall be released in March under an open licence. He will build up this
> small host JOST (Jack hOST) to a instrumentrack with basic sequencer
> functions. Later he will build up a full sequencer named "Juggler", which
> should be near to the commercial Tracktion. (JUCE is the framework behind
> Tracktion1)

really. fascinating. and just how long do you imagine this might take?
how long do you think traktion took to create? how many people do you
think work on Traktion at the moment?

there are already a few JACK-aware VST hosting sequencers/DAWs. there is
already DSSI. there is already a DSSI-VST bridge. there is already a
run-VST-plugin-as-JACK-client host. what do you actually think is gained
by starting up yet another project to do this?

mike taht told me a cute story of how he spoke at a conference somewhere
and asked everyone in the room how many of them had their own projects
going on. Everyone in the room raised their hands. mike said that he
didn't have to guts to ask "Does anyone ever think that maybe there are
too many projects?". he did raise the idea that it would be really good
for *everyone* if people would give some of their attention to other
projects periodically. i plead guilty to not doing this, its true.