Re: [linux-audio-user] Linux music editor, greater than 32-bit ?

From: Florin Andrei <florin@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Feb 26 2007 - 20:49:46 EET

Rick Wright wrote:

> This is true, but as Folderol wrote, 32 bits should be *plenty* of
> dynamic range for audio. In fact, it has been argued that ~22bits is
> sufficient as beyond this you get into the h/w noise floor, hearing
> limits, etc.

24 bit means 135dB signal/noise ratio.

I haven't seen yet analog gear capable of 135dB. Hints:
- 90dB is the difference between a jackhammer and silence
- the human hearing range is 120dB - above that permanent injury occurs
- the space shuttle taking off generates "noise" somewhere in the 130..140db

Note: yeah, I know, rigorously speaking I'm mixing here several
different scales that should not be mixed. Don't kick the messenger into
the pit, even if "this is Sparta". ;-)

(bonus points for figuring out the reference)

--
Florin Andrei
http://florin.myip.org/