[linux-audio-user] Beat Tracking [was: ANN: JOST, a simple host for native VST]

From: Jan Weil <Jan.Weil@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Feb 27 2007 - 10:18:36 EET

Am Montag, den 26.02.2007, 19:18 +0100 schrieb Pieter Palmers:
> PS: tell me that these already exist, so that I don't have to start my
> own private projects: 'AbletonLive4Linux', a decent arpeggiator (I can't
> seem to grasp QMidiArp), 'lock-jack-transport-to-tha-captured-beat'.

That's something I've been thinking about for quite a while now. I'm
planning to write a Jack Timebase Master which listens to an input port
analyzing the stream and tracking the beat. MIDI Clock output would be
next. My motivation is to sync seq24 & Co. to live drums. aubio comes
with a causal beat tracker but my first attempts with it were not very
promising. Causal beat tracking, however, is by no means trivial.
Especially if you do not know the kind of the input signal, e. g. drums
vs. a violin.

I did a little bit of state of the art research, so all I can provide
for now is a bunch of papers (and a project name FWIW).

Should you decide to start your own project on this, please get in touch
with me (LAC2007?).

Jan