[linux-audio-user] Re: ANN: JOST, a simple host for native VST

From: Kjetil S. Matheussen <k.s.matheussen@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Feb 27 2007 - 16:43:45 EET

Michael Bohle:

> Am Montag, 26. Februar 2007 14:18 schrieb Michael Bohle:
>> Hi there,
>>
>> The italian DJ and Developer Lucio Asnaghi has made a first preview of
>> simple host for native VST on Linux. Native VST for Linux was founded first
>> by Jorgen Aase /EnergyXT2, but the communication is problematic (also other
>> devs reported that Jorgen didn't anwer to any mail), so Lucio decided to
>> make an own host, based on the framework JUCE , because he porting a lot of
>> VST Synths to Linux. (he also made a great port from ZynAdd Windows VST
>> back to Linux VST)
>
> Please read the website and the comments from Lucio, he made an article about
> this discussion and he pleased me not to make an ANN in this list about his
> apps anymore.
>
> See http://www.anticore.org/jucetice/index.php?entry=entry070226-191811
>
> I see cleary, there are the an old linuxaudio community, like represented
> with this list. The old community believes that there is the evil closed
> source and that open source heal all wounds and make an ideologic overhead
> about this.

I think you are too categorical and judgemental. I also think you are
wrong, in fact, the person I suspect you are addressing with this, Paul
Davis, is a guy who perhaps has devoted the most time making closed
source vst plugins work in linux.

It is provocating, however, that someone, without explaining why,
suddenly works a lot on making vst plugins more popular in linux, when we
already have descent well-licensed plugin formats like l2v, ladspa and
dssi, which most linux audio plugin hosts support.

And therefore, I also think you should have spent more time on the very
good argument for vst plugins on linux: There are a lot of great vst
plugins available, and many of them are even open source.

> The new community, often active musicians, have no problems to get in touch
> with "the evil" - The new community is pragmaticly use this what works for
> the musicans. And they want Linux, not because of the FSF, more because this
> can be an alternative for Windows.

You can't categorize people into a new and an old community. There are no
us and them here. I think the arguments against vst plugins on linux are
rational, at the same time as there are rational arguments for vst plugins
on linux.

This would be a far more constructive discussion if you spent time
fronting the rational arguments for vst plugins on linux instead of
initiating flame wars by constructing alternative realities. At least,
thats how it appears.