Re: [linux-audio-user] ANN: JOST, a simple host for native VST

From: Dave Phillips <dlphillips@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Feb 27 2007 - 18:41:24 EET

Michael Bohle wrote:

>I'm aware that there a many differences and mixings and not only black and
>white. And i see that there is more then this list in the linux audio world.
>But i often read here words like "VST must die" or very strange postings from
>the gurus of audiolinux...

All things must die, including VST.

For the record, I just tried out JOST. It's interesting, and for those
who haven't yet tried it, here's how it works:

1) Download the jost binary.
2) Download and compile some of the ported VST plugins.
3) Copy or rename the jost binary to the name of a ported plugin (in the
same directory as the jost executable), minus the .so extension. Thus,
given /home/dave/jost and /home/dave/Transverb.so :

    cp jost Transverb

4) Start JACK.
5) Run the newly-named binary, e.g. ./Transverb
6) Make audio and MIDI connections via QJackCtl or whatever you use.

It's all proof-of-concept and first-stage stuff right now, but it works
smoothly at what it sets out to achieve. I've only tested the Transverb
plugin, I'll test some more this afternoon. Nice work, but I miss the
source code.

Michael, if you'd like to inform Lucio you can tell him that I'll be
profiling JOST in my next blog entry for the Linux Journal, it should go
on-line tomorrow, Flame-retardant suits will not be necessary. :)

Best,

dp