Re: [linux-audio-user] ANN: JOST, a simple host for native VST

From: Thomas Kuther <gimpel@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Feb 27 2007 - 23:04:31 EET

On Di, 27.02.07 19:53 Tim Orford <tim@email-addr-hidden> wrote:

> On Tue, Feb 27, 2007 at 08:28:16PM +0100, Leonard Ritter wrote:
> > > >

> > > I'm crazy enough to think that we can.
> >
> > what the hell... you are like people sitting in a train that moves
> > at high speed discussing how to move forward.
>
> We're kind of in different territories. The world of trackers
> is quite different to that of mainstream music production
> applications.

Is that what you mean with people like me, who have no idea how Aldrin
should work (never used a tracker, i just don't get them, and i don't
want to), wonder about what that FX channel selector in LMMS is for,
if there is no FX bank (in FL studio that holds a bunch of VSTs :D)?

MusE is cool, I can handle that, it's like Cubase. Rosegarden locks my
X server since version Rosegarden3indunnoanymore, and trying to debug
that didn't find any interest on their mailing list. Anyways those are
as good for loop sequencing as a having piano for playing guitar.
Ardour2 doesn't fit on my 1024x768 display, but that can't do
sequencing anyway

Who was the one here talking about AbletonLive4Linux? I would so much
own you beers and whatnot. I so often feel like booting into that
piratically equiped OS on hda1 that needs a driver cd to recognize my
cherry keyboard, just to use Ableton, and the cubase mixer.
This even keeps me off making music, really. I've been DJing a lot, and
I love loops, samples, FX, beats etc, and always feel like "this must be
ready to do a liveset with it" when I make sound, and in the end, there
is Ableton to do such.
Wired looked sooo promising.. I almost fell off my chair when they
released 0.1, it's 0.4 now, and that damn thing still crashes after
adding two samples as midi tracks, and that portaudio crap causes some
strange crackling, I hate it.

So my goal is: loop sequencing, samples, combined with drum and other
synths, all all that with a big bunch of effects - in a fashion that I
could take my box on stage - ready to rumble

For now I tried a gazillion apps in the last years, and now it's time
to credit
- MusE: it rocks, esp if you know and like Cubase
- hydrogen: very cool, just getting drumkits done is WAY too
complicated
- ZynAddSubFX: one thing that can produce sounds somewhat close to
Absynth (yeah Absynth, I miss it too)
- jackrack, jamin etc

Those are great, but not for live electronic stuff.
Ableton!

OK, now enough of my useless whining, I just had to let out a ~four
year old pain. I switched to Linux, never returned to Windows, and
well, I gave up Ableton (version 1.x that time) and tried to find
something suitable on Linux.. failed. No Linux-made self-done
low-budget livesets. I even forgot about it, this discussion just
brought it back.

Sorry for that OT noise.

PS: why is it that me/everyone/lot of others compare some Linux app to
something they know from "old windows times"?