Re: [linux-audio-user] Linux music editor, greater than 32-bit ?

From: Arnold Krille <arnold.krille@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Feb 27 2007 - 23:40:46 EET

2007/2/27, Paul Winkler <pw_lists@slinkp.com>:
> On Tue, Feb 27, 2007 at 10:43:39AM +0100, Arnold Krille wrote:
> > You have amps and speakers doing 120dB? Show them to me.
> Are you talking sound pressure level, or dynamic range?

Well, both :-)

Actually if it is dynamic range and an amp can do a dynamic range of
120dB or more but I turn it down so the loudest level is 60dB SPL at
my ear, the smallest level will be 60dB-120dB=... well, it will be
silent enough to be not to be heard. (*)

> It's really not hard to reach 120 dB SPL at close range. I own a bass
> cabinet and an amplifier that I could, if I chose, drive to 130 dB SPL
> at 1 meter, and be well within the system's limits.

We are talking about music-production for the mainstream and PA, not
musicians amps. :-)

I haven't seen anyone firing his home equipment to have 120dB and
sitting 1m or less away from it...

<snip>
> 120 dB dynamic range is an incredible amount, it corresponds roughly
> to the difference between whispering and a rifle fired at 1 meter.
> Even the humble CD can capture the difference between whispering and a
> chainsaw.

120dB is the difference between just loud enough to be heard by your
ear (1dB) and the loudness when the bones in your ear bow to protect
it. At higher levels (>120dB) your ear aches but it will recover if
the noise isn't permanent. At least thats the definition I learned...

> And please remember folks, even 85 dB SPL can be enough to damage your
> ears with long-term exposure.

Agreed! :)

(*) At least if my physics aren't completely wrong...

--
visit http://www.arnoldarts.de/
---