Re: [linux-audio-user] is jackmidi crucial? [was:] lv2dynparam

From: Lars Luthman <lars.luthman@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Mar 02 2007 - 19:51:50 EET

On Fri, 2007-03-02 at 18:40 +0100, Atte André Jensen wrote:
> Nedko Arnaudov wrote:
>
> > Having audio and MIDI perfectly synchronized is a must in my
> > vision. There is no point of using JACK if you use ALSA too.
>
> Really?
>
> I haven't yet used it, and think alsa midi works just fine. Exactly
> where (real world scenarios, please) is jack-midi superior the the
> degree that the current approach is pointless?
>
> And I'd also like to hear a quick hand up: Who's using jack midi
> exclusively and who's using alsa midi?

Depends on what you mean with "alsa midi". Obviously no one who has
external MIDI gear can use JACK MIDI exclusively since JACK doesn't have
its own hardware interfaces. If you mean "alsa midi" == the ALSA
sequencer, then I am not using it - I've actually blocked the snd-seq
module (by putting 'install snd-seq /bin/true' in a modprobe config
file) to stop it from interfering with the MIDI part of my hacked-up
jackd ALSA driver. I'm happily using Dino, Zyn, Specimen, Ghostess, and
miscellaneous unreleased software with JACK MIDI ports only.

--ll