Re: [linux-audio-user] audio/video player for theatre use anyone?

From: Robin Gareus <robin@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat Mar 03 2007 - 02:11:33 EET

Lee Revell wrote:
> On 3/2/07, Thomas Vecchione <seablaede@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
>> As of right now there is no good prebuilt software for audio in theater
>> on linux. I am slowly working my way through APIs to start working on
>> one, but have been for some time so don't hold your breath;) I don't
>> plan on doing anything for video though, sorry.
>>

> Can't you extend an existing app rather than starting a new project?
> I know that Ardour has been used for sound installations, how are the
> requirements of a theater different?

i've once hacked somme code to "sequence" jack-transport.
  ie. define breakpoints, do jumps, but failed abysmally. well it works
- kind of. (jack is so cool)

@Joern: is there a deadline you need to meet (get sth quick with
mplayer) or is there time for proper open-source devel? video-jack might
be worth waiting for!

maybe the ardour punch-in/out and location marker concept can be
extended in a suitable way.. - depending on the level of interaction
during the show one might want to use pure-data.

How do you prepare the show? do you edit audio/video or only arrange the
live performance automation?

I guess you want to have a simple video-player or -timeline to preview
and define sync points in the video source first. Then assign those
clips to different triggers, events or sequence some of them.

A theater installation might need more than one audio-transport!
eg. some audio keeps running continuously, some audio is sync to video,
some extra sound-effects,. I not sure if ardour is suited for that.

To complicate it even more there's qlc.sf.net (the QT light controller -
i've never used it)- it can be controlled by Midi ! dunno about OSC or
jack-transport. sure sth that will come in handy for live theater! but
that would place an ardour-midi-light-automations-track on the feature
request list :-) seriously, let's postpone that!

#robin