Re: [linux-audio-user] Filtering out sounds?

From: carmen <_@email-addr-hidden-your.name>
Date: Sat Mar 10 2007 - 00:14:24 EET

On Fri Mar 09, 2007 at 11:09:27PM +0100, Robin Gareus wrote:

> terrence@email-addr-hidden wrote:
> > Hmmmm...well it's actually an old tape of all spoken stuff;
> > conversations I had while visiting family in Europe. I want to hang on to
> > the other people's voices etc., but mine has changed a bit since then and
> > the old sound bugs me.
>
> i don't think there is a way to do this from the command line!
> why cli? it rather sound like a job you should start up a (graphical)
> DAW for. or was the cli requirement only for the recording not this
> particular edit/filtering task?
>
> anyway the only way to get it done quickly, just mute your voice during
> recording.. (hope you were not conversing at the same time as others in
> the background) - Maybe ecasound allows to assign on/off location
> markers during recording. I never checked.
>
> If you speak at the same time with others it's gets tricky. If the
> voices have a different pitch (fi. your "old sound" being an allusion to
> baby-crying in the background) you can reduce the presence of a
> particular voice with EQing + compression. I don't think there is
> software out there to automate the task. - audacity might come in handy.

theres plenty of software that can take a FFT snapshot, wiht a large window size (eg a passage of spoken text). then filter another wave using that as a mask...

you could also play with a spectral gate, if the voice is obviously louder than everything else. once again you'll get artifacts and sectinsn that didnt hit the threshold..

it definitely helps to work in an editor that lets you view your waveforms as a spectrogram as well.

theres lots of choices on windows for both of these things (fft masking, and spectrogram editing). not sure about linux..