OT. Amatuer vs professional was[Re: [linux-audio-user] apps.linuxaudio.org test updated]

From: Patrick Shirkey <pshirkey@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Mar 11 2007 - 10:21:55 EET

On 10:48:40 pm 03/09/07 Robin Gareus

> I was under the impression that linuxaudio.org is a NPO, implying a
> mission not a profession.

Daniel setup LAO as a focal point for the professional market to come to
and for the professionals among us to have a representative contact point
that other professional companies would feel comfortable interacting with.
The full mission is clearly presented on the main page at
www.linuxaudio.org.

I'm a professional Linux Audio Developer and there are several others who
have contributed the lion share of the audio backend who are too.

Being a professional Linux Audio Developer is something to be proud of and
is even a marketing angle that gives a certain level of immediate respect
when dealing with companies that come from a windows or more traditional
commercial dev background.

The way Thorsten chooses to work with us on his design projects is
certainly different to most companies but I think in only one major
respect. He doesn't waste time to get the ball rolling. We aren't left with
long delays to justify the enormous charges that most designers attempt to
invoice.

IMO self deprecating comments about the so called "unprofessional" approach
of yours and others obvious hard work because you/they are not being paid
in dollars and cents is unnecessary. Even more so when you are contributing
to the Linux Audio.org family of projects.

I'll attempt to state this again now.

It's a good thing to be a professional Linux Audio Developer!!! We are
different from the rest of the pack. It's something the rest of the pack
respects. It's a way of increasing your marketability in a highly
competitive industry. It's a badge of honor to be worn with pride. Anyone
who says otherwise is mistaken or misinformed. If you can do it, do it well
and enjoy it when you do.

Nuff said?

--
Patrick Shirkey