[linux-audio-user] Re: Legalities

From: Kjetil S. Matheussen <k.s.matheussen@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Mar 11 2007 - 17:31:16 EET

Bob van der Poel:

> Anyone know much about the legalities of posting music recorded by
> oneself, but written by someone else? I put up a few recordings on my
> web site, mostly as a demo of MMA ... but I got to wondering the other
> day if some nice lawyer is going to be knocking on my door? I'm not too
> worried since I do live in Canada, and the server is <somewhere in
> Europe>. But, still ... one has to wonder.

I don't know the laws, but I would be extremely surprised if this is
illegal in Europe.

> In my case, I didn't write the music. But, I'm the "artist" (and
> recording engineer, etc.). And, I'm not selling anything. And, they are
> just demos.
>
> So, should I worry?

I wouldn't.

(In fact, I have a bunch of cover versions available for download myself,
and no way am I going to remove them.)

> Should I take them down?

Please don't. It would be extremely unreasonable for anyone to demand that
you should. You are a free person who should be able to express yourself
the way you want. Unless the covers are hard to differ from
the originals, I strongly oppose any idea that this is some kind of
copyright infringement