Re: [linux-audio-user] Re: Legalities

From: Dave Phillips <dlphillips@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Mar 12 2007 - 14:10:09 EET

Nick Scheer wrote:

> While having covers of copyrighted songs available on your site may
> *technically* not be in compliance with copyright law, the reality is
> that I think it is most unlikely that the copyright holders would see
> fit to pursue you for any kind of damages, since the recordings you
> are providing access to are performed, produced, etc. by you, and you
> are not benefiting financially in any way, and someone is *not* going
> to download a cover song in lieu of purchasing a CD from the original
> artist, which is the main justification against the RIAA's
> well-publicized legal witch-hunts in the US.

My advice: First, get and read the book "This Business Of Music". Then
get a lawyer if you still feel you need one.

Some distinctions: Copyright refers to the holding of the rights to make
copies. Royalties are monies paid for the sales/distribution and
performance of a copyrighted work. IANAL, but I think Bob's dilemma
falls into the domain of performance or mechanical royalities. He's not
breaking copyright, but like the church musicians and bar bands he can
be compelled to pay a performance royalty. Enforcement of the law is of
course a matter for the police or other such agency. Collection of owed
royalties has been, in the US at least, a job done by the Fox Agency
(IIRC). I think that even though Bob's covers aren't for sale he is
still liable for the performance royalties.

Best,

dp