Re: [linux-audio-user] switching sound cards on the fly?

From: Paul Davis <paul@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Mar 16 2007 - 07:01:46 EET

On Thu, 2007-03-15 at 20:15 -0700, Mark Knecht wrote:
> I made a suggestion to the Aqualung design team that they should
> consider finding a way to make Aqualung work inside a browser like
> Songbird does. It would be really great to have a groovy Jack app
> doing the browser sound management for me. I'd love that.

given that (a) GStreamer now has working JACK I/O (b) many Linux
consumer apps are heading towards GStreamer, I would conclude that its
not that hard or too long before this is possible.

you can also force your browser to use JACK right now, and then simply
have JACK and qjackctl or patchage take care of the connectivity.

finally, i suspect that the way things will go, 2+ soundcards is not the
right answer; rather, 1 multichannel soundcard is.

--p