Re: [linux-audio-user] To MacBook or not to MacBook, that's the question

From: Johannes Mario Ringheim <jri@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Mar 16 2007 - 16:55:39 EET

Pieter Palmers wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm considering to buy a new laptop, and a message some time ago on the
> list regarding a comparison between Dell and MacBook made me reconsider
> my stance towards MacBook. The difference between the price for
> comparable systems is indeed not that big, especially not since they
> offer a 20% reduction if you become 'student developer'. On top of that,
> getting OSX attracts me more than getting Vista ;).
>
> So now I am considering getting one of these top-notch macbook pro's,
> but I'd like to inform myself beforehand.
> My basic requirement list:
> * runs linux with all hardware supported
> * ruggedness (I carry it around everywhere)
> * support quality (Apple's guarantee doesn't seem as good as the one
> from Dell)
>
> Specific questions:
> * what kind of problems will I see when I want to install Fedora on it?
> * are all interrupts routed to the same line (as in the mini's)? I don't
> want IRQ sharing between the SATA controller and the audio card/firewire
> controller, ...
> * how about the ATI x1600 graphics card?

Doesn't the macbook have the intel 945..?

> Are there any MacBook pro owners on the list that care to answer my
> questions and/or give a general feedback (feedforward?) on the MacBook?

Have you checked on linuxlaptops:
http://www.linux-on-laptops.com/apple.html
http://desrt.mcmaster.ca/macbook.xhtml (Ubuntu)

Generally it seems they're getting stuff to work, but it might not be
*the* laptop to run gnu/linux on.

--
Ringheims Auto - Fri musikk for bilstereo!
http://ringheimsauto.org