Re: [linux-audio-user] To MacBook or not to MacBook, that's the question

From: Arnold Krille <arnold.krille@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Mar 19 2007 - 11:42:44 EET

2007/3/19, Ken Restivo <ken@restivo.org>:
> OK, <exasperated sigh>, I have to ask this:
> Are there any laptops out there WHICH DO NOT SUCK??!

Yes, I have an ASUS A6000 which is rather great!

WLAN is supported, the Firewire works. Only I can't record to disk
when using usb-soundcards (recording to tmpfs works...) but thats the
past now as I have my fw-device :-P
And the 64bit aren't a problem. Despite what some PD-freaks tell you.
What you need for music (as in music, not as in
electronic-experimental-synth-stuff) and recording is working very
well.
Even the basic pd works as far as I am using it...

> BTW, in the Linux and BSD wireless world a few years ago there was a general consensus that ThinkPads were amazing/fantastic/perfect machines. They were considered the most "road-worthy" and I saw BAWUG guys walking around carrying their open ThinkPads around by the LCD, casually throwing them around like a roadie throws around an SM58, with no ill effects.

My Asus looked that wretched after the first week of usage. I carry it
around in my normal backpack without any further protection for half
and a year now and it still works like on first day. Even the battery
still lasts 2-2.5 hours like on first day (and like the manufactured
announced once you subtracted the 0.5 to 1 hours marketing).

Arnold

--
visit http://www.arnoldarts.de/
---