Re: [linux-audio-user] writing a realtime app in python

From: Eric Dantan Rzewnicki <eric@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Mar 20 2007 - 02:15:04 EET

On Mon, Mar 19, 2007 at 06:55:53PM -0500, Jack O'Quin wrote:
> On 3/19/07, Atte André Jensen <atte.jensen@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
> You could code those parts of the program in C or C++ to avoid
> memory management in the "harder" realtime portions of your
> application. With sufficiently large ringbuffers (or the like), the
> other parts can probably be written in python with some higher
> latency.

An option to consider is controlling ecasound from python. I've had a
good deal of fun building things this way in the past and hope to get
back to it this year.

It works fairly well. The logic and configuration of your program is
fine in python ... it just sends control information to ecasound while
ecasound handles all the details of communicating with jackd.

-Eric Rz.