Re: [linux-audio-user] Re: B3 emulator

From: Atte André Jensen <atte.jensen@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Mar 21 2007 - 13:04:23 EET

Ken Restivo wrote:

> It might be fun to try it out anyway, but it won't run without OSS
> /dev/midiX stuff.

modprobe snd-seq-oss

Here this made virtual midi show up at /dev/snd/midiC3D0

Then in the (messy) beatrix dir change default.cfg to have this line
(there's one that beginning with a # and pointing at /dev/midi00 you can
change):

midi.device=/dev/snd/midiC3D0

Then I simply used "aconnect 32 28" to connect my usb keyboard to the
virtual card.

> I suppose I could invest a few days of work and hack up a patch
> that'd add ALSA and JACK client support, but it looks from his blog
> like he's already added ALSA support, but hasn't "released" it yet.

I never tried this software before (or even heard of it, possible due to
his strange license), but it's the best sounding native b3 emulation I
heard under linux so far.

On the web page I read this:
"The purpose of this rather restrictive license is simple: I do not want
multiple versions splitting off with my name in them when the program is
still under development. If you feel that you would like to make a
serious contribution to the project, please contact me."

Ok, so the latest (last?) release was 2 1/2 years ago. Maybe he's not
really working that much on the project anymore and could need a hand or
is willing to let others fork is to wrap it up? I think the following
needs to be done:

1) Make it work with alsa *and* jack
2) There's a strange alias type of artifact when the leslie is running,
that should be cleaned up.

Not a lot of work, and we would have a quite capable organ application,
something I've been missing alot from time to time.

I'll be willing to help with what I can.

What do you think? Should we go for the "If you feel that you would like
to make a serious contribution to the project, please contact me" and
drop him a mail?

--
peace, love & harmony
Atte