Re: [LAU] Laptop Battle Registration and Promotion

From: david <gnome@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Apr 03 2007 - 20:13:40 EEST

Robin Gareus wrote:
> david wrote:

>>> The Laptop is the Turntable of the 21st Century.
>>>
>>> (The turntable of course supplanted the guitar sometime around the
>>> 1990's.)
>> Not for me. Disco and its present descendants SUCKS! ;-)
>>
> taste wise I quite agree - but as for the "hip" instrument in the
> music-scene: "the last guitar solo the world wanted to hear was in
> Purple Rain" (dunno whom I'm actually quoting; some piano teacher said
> that to keep guitarists focused on chord&melody: "licks are for air-guitar")
>
> I guess the air-guitar will have a a good chance for a come-back once
> laptops are out of style ;)

There are people developing sensors for the hands/fingers that can read
motion in three dimensions and map that to software controllers, to
produce a playable air-guitar. ;-)

IMO, laptops, computer keyboards, etc, are very thin and unexpressive
replacements for the rich interfaces that we know as real musical
instruments - guitars, violins, horns, etc. Human hands and fingers,
human breath control, have been developed and refined for thousands of
years. Computer user interfaces have a long ways to do to develop that
degree of expressiveness.

--
David
gnome@email-addr-hidden