Re: [LAU] What was the audio generator used by Hawkwind?

From: Sebastian Gutsfeld <segoh@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Apr 04 2007 - 10:34:54 EEST

Hi Damon,

Damon Chaplin <damon@email-addr-hidden> writes:

> Does anyone know what the "audio generator" was that Hawkwind used to
> use on albums like Space Ritual (one of the best albums ever!).
>
> It produced sweeping, oscillating tones. I'd be interested to know
> exactly what it was generating.

I don't know Space Ritual, but "sweeping, oscillating tones" were often
synthesized with EMS VCS3s (http://www.vintagesynth.com/misc/vcs3.shtml).
Brian Eno and Pink Floyd used those.

> Is there anything like it on Linux?

You could try Steven Cook's VCS3 emulation for Csound:
http://www.csounds.com/cook/

Here are some patch sheets with example sounds for the EMS Synthi A
(http://www.vintagesynth.com/misc/synthi.shtml) which is nothing but a
portable VCS3: http://home.online.no/~tom-rf/EMS/

regards,
   Sebastian