Re: [LAU] Re: That must suck. For me it's about beauty--musicisjustone path

From: Charles Linart <clinart@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Apr 05 2007 - 20:57:32 EEST

The Western scale is only seven notes. Ever heard of an octave? The
Eastern (pentatonic) scale has five notes.

If notes are notes only because I've been "conditioned" for them, why
do the same notes show up in music all over the world? Probably has
something to do with the limitations of the human voice and the human
ear. Whatever the explanation, the bushman and Mozart incorporate the
same 12 fundamental harmonics in their music. The sound of a yak
belch can be part of a rhythm, but it is utterly useless as a
component of melody -- unless it happens by chance to be a note.