Re: [LAU] best mic(s) for environmenal recording?

From: Arnold Krille <arnold@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Apr 11 2007 - 15:29:56 EEST

Am Mittwoch, 11. April 2007 schrieb Dragan Noveski:
> Mike Taht wrote:
> > I am selling my house deep in the santa cruz mountains, and I think
> > the things I'm going to miss most is the birdsong and other sounds of
> > the wilderness around me. So, I keep thinking, I should pick up a good
> > mic soon (stereo mic, or matched pair) - either buy, borrow, or rent
> > for a few days - and record it all, so I can recreate the ambiance and
> > memories of this place one day in the future.
> i am sorry for not knowing the word now in english (robin will help out).
> for outside recording watch out at the mic-cheracteristica!
> what you need is a 'kugel' (in german), in english it should be called
> 'ball, or sphere'.
> those are the only mics which will record linear, beginning at 0Hz.
> off course it should be a condenser and you need a propper preamp!

As you need to EQ/Master afterwards, this shouldn't be the big problem. But
you should select the characteristics of the mic with respect to what you
want to record:
Doing a live-recording of a concert you don't want to use omni-directional
mics as you want the sound coming from stage in front of the mic, not the
foh-man talking to the light-crew behind the mic.
For environmental recordings where you are in the middle of the happening you
could use omnis.

And wether a mic records linear from 0Hz is dependent on the price and not so
much on the characteristics. In fact I strongly doubt that any mic will be
linear (which is defined to be less than 3dB around the average) below 20Hz!

Arnold

--
visit http://www.arnoldarts.de/
---