Re: [LAU] best mic(s) for environmenal recording?

From: Robin Gareus <robin@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Apr 11 2007 - 16:15:28 EEST

Dragan Noveski wrote:
> Robin Gareus wrote:
>>

>> come on Dragan, even you
> hey, what means 'even me' ??

sorry. kind of a colloquial teaser ;) - i should have been more subtle
since that "Foul lang" thread. /nothing personal/ (the 14'56" Brecker
version)

>> could have dug up "Omnidirectional" ;)
>>
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microphone#Microphone_polar_patterns
>>

>> cheers,
>> robin
>>
> thx robin, i was even lookin at wikipedia, but not patient enough.

i just scrolled and looked at the images there; I didn't actually read
it :)

> but as i realized that you are involved here, i was thinking at is much
> easier to ask for a translation.
>
> omnidirectional sound good!

to resume the original subject: search the web for field-recording
equipment and microphone characteristics. - Many movie and TV
productions do have information about outdoor-recording setups!

it also highly depends on the application:
 if you want to "aim" at a bird or if you want to capture the whole
surroundings.

0Hz does not always make sense. adding a low cut increases the
dynamic-range, but then again it all depends on the speakers used for
listening to the end-product: cinema-PA, car-stereo, audio-books,.. ?

the low-budget solution is to buy one of those battery powered old
MiniDisc-condenser mics.

For the "santa cruz mountain" experience, i suggest you rent some
pro-equipment for a week-end. you might even get some mic&preamps cheap
if you rent 'em off-hours, but I might be too optimistic there.

if possible go extreme: take a omidirectional micro and one of those
shot-guns - sounds to remember. consider sharing:
http://freesound.iua.upf.edu/ "santa cruz mountains" -> No files found...

remember LAC: http://trinityaudiogroup.com/
 "walk and mix technology" ;)