Re: [LAU] MIDI or OSC?

From: Spencer Russell <spencer.f.russell@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Apr 12 2007 - 09:46:43 EEST

On 4/11/07, Lars Luthman <lars.luthman@email-addr-hidden> wrote:

> Ingen uses MIDI _and_ OSC. I don't know of any sequencers or hardware
> interfaces that send OSC for note control, so if you want people to be
> able to play the synth without too much trouble you probably want to
> support MIDI. Also, are there any realtime safe, sample synchronous IPC
> routing systems for OSC?

The Lemur from JazzMutant
(http://www.jazzmutant.com/lemur_overview.php) seems like a great new
toy that supports OSC, if you've got an extra 2 grand lying around.
This summer I'm also working on a sensor interface that takes 0-5V
control voltages and sends them as OSC packets over an ethernet
network, and the plans will be released as a hopefully
easy-to-reproduce open-source project. There are also some Nintento
Wii remote to OSC interfaces out there. :)

There's no arguing that MIDI is definitely more prevalent as far as
hardware controllers go, but for internal communication within a
softsynth-type project, I find OSC to be a lot easier to use. I
usually have all my PD patches communicate to each other using OSC,
and if I need to communicate with a MIDI device I have a translator
patch on the front end that just takes MIDI data and spits out happy
OSC packets. That way I only have to deal with MIDI once, and it's OSC
from then on.

-spencer