Re: [LAU] QWERTY to midi?

From: Louis Acresti <lra4691@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat Apr 14 2007 - 00:29:49 EEST

On 4/13/07, Josh Lawrence <hardbop200@email-addr-hidden> wrote:

> I would like to trigger samples with a qwerty keyboard. I am aware
> that freewheelin will allow loops to be turned off/on with a qwerty
> keyboard, but I am looking for more one-shot sample triggering. It
> would be nice to be able to assign multiple samples (whether loops,
> one-shot, etc.) to different keys and be able to trigger them by
> pressing the key. Is this possible? If so, what applications can be
> used to do it?

Some sort of virtual keyboard (vkeybd is the only one that comes to
mind) will do the trick.
With this and JACK (via qjackctl) you could connect your virtual MIDI
keyboard to Hydrogen for any one-shot samples, which you can load in
to a custom 'drummachine'. The loops can be toggled with Freewheeling
directly (it would have to have focus to receive the keystrokes,
unless you use the MIDI vkeybd); you might have to hack the
.fweelin.rc file to disable the keys you want to use for your
one-shots, though.