[LAU] Re: [linux-audio-user] USB chip audio with compression?

From: Robin Gareus <robin@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Apr 17 2007 - 16:14:10 EEST

Gregoire Banderet wrote:
> Hello,
>
> We are at the design phase of a new embedded product based on a PowerPC
> and Linux.
> The device should have an audio output and an audio input, if possible
> with a HW compression (MP3) and if possible with an USB interface.
>
> Is there such device supported (with a working driver) by Linux?

not that I know of. but if FPGA's are an option it could be built
easily ;)

USB-Audio is a very distinct standard and merging it with raw mp3/ogg
data i/o is IMHO not a good idea!

There are drivers and software for mp3-decoder hard/firm-ware (eg
ipodlinux.org ) - shared/locked memory is an issue on embedded devices,
and USB makes this even worse..!

I think the cheapest solution is to just /connect/ the
mp3-de/encoder/player output to a general purpose dsp & mixer chipset
and have them be two separate [usb] devices..

2c,
robin