Re: [LAU] USB chip audio with compression?

From: Joern Nettingsmeier <nettings@email-addr-hidden-hochschule.de>
Date: Wed Apr 18 2007 - 16:11:28 EEST

Gregoire Banderet wrote:
> Hello,
>
> We are at the design phase of a new embedded product based on a PowerPC
> and Linux.
> The device should have an audio output and an audio input, if possible
> with a HW compression (MP3) and if possible with an USB interface.
>
> Is there an audio chip with these spec supported (with a working driver)
> by Linux?

i can't really help you, but have you considered using ogg vorbis
instead of or at least in addition to mp3? you will avoid royalty
headaches, and vorbis to many ears delivers superior quality when
compared to mp3 at the same average bitrate, especially so with low
bitrates (check out cbc radio for an example:
http://www.cbc.ca/listen/ogg.html)

regards,

jörn

--
jörn nettingsmeier
home://germany/45128 essen/lortzingstr. 11/