Re: [LAU] Thinkpad R60 for Audio Update - Firewire Conflicts with Audio

From: Sampo Savolainen <v2@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Apr 18 2007 - 23:08:17 EEST

On Wed, 2007-04-18 at 12:17 -0700, Ken Dawson wrote:
> Thanks for this. How do you like your D820 under Linux? I'm especially
> interested in how well the graphics, wireless LAN, and ACPI support
> work. Oh, and the audio.

I've got intel graphics. Works great after 915resolution is installed
(it's needed for the bios hack to access teh 1920x1200 video mode)

The dell is sold with the intel 3945d chip or the "dell
wireless" (broadcom something). Needless to say, i got it with the intel
chip. Works great.

ACPI? I've never had to worry about that. Fans etc. work well. I'm not
sure if it's related with ACPI but an interesting tidbit: if the PSU
cord is connected poorly long enough, the bios decides it can't be sure
it's getting enough power and forces the cpu frequency scaling to set
the max scaling freq to min freq. So the cpu gets stuck at the lowest
speed. This can be fixed by removing the PSU cord for a while,
re-inserting it. (you might need to fiddle
with /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu[01]/cpufreq/scaling_max_freq
afterwards)

Audio? A few hacks needed.
 1) You need to set the Capture element in the mixer to record,
    otherwise the driver will not return any samples when recording.
 2) At least with my current alsa version (1.0.13rc2) needs
    position_fix=1 as a parameter for the snd-hda-intel driver

After those fixes it works well. haven't tried spdif though as I have no
dock. I use an RME multiface + pcmcia card for real work and it works
just great. I havent' attempted extreme latencies as I have no need for
such.

All in all? Very little hassle for a very new machine. It's extremely
fast, relatively quiet, good battery life, the screen is wonderful
albeit not very bright.

I'm happy with it.

  Sampo

PS. One hint. If you decide to get one: call them and ask for an offer,
don't get it at list price!