Re: [LAU] Thinkpad R60 for Audio Update - Firewire Conflicts with Audio

From: Robin Gareus <robin@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Apr 20 2007 - 18:42:28 EEST

mea wrote:
> Hi,
> Sorry to bump into the thread like this, but I have 3+ year old R40 and
> I never managed to make it work with my firewire sound card under linux,
> I think mainly because of> cat /proc/interrupts
> 0: 6674809 XT-PIC timer
> 1: 24 XT-PIC i8042
> 2: 0 XT-PIC cascade
> 6: 3 XT-PIC floppy
> 8: 1 XT-PIC rtc
> 9: 48 XT-PIC acpi
> 11: 1744806 XT-PIC uhci_hcd:usb1, uhci_hcd:usb2,
> uhci_hcd:usb3, ehci_hcd:usb4, yenta, ohci1394, Intel 82801DB-ICH4, eth0,
> radeon@email-addr-hidden:0000:01:00.0
> 12: 35 XT-PIC i8042
> 14: 27840 XT-PIC ide0
> 15: 20 XT-PIC ide1
> NMI: 0
> ERR: 0
>
> As you can see, 11 is loaded. My question: In BIOS I see letters(A,B,
> etc) all assigned to 11. Is it safe to try to change them?

yes, in the worst case you just need to reboot and re-set them..

(hihi; if you dual boot: windows might find some new devices after
flipping those around; prepare to jockey (not mount) the driver CD/DVD)

ABCD usually correspond do the PCI irq wires . aehm striplines or
signals. ;) - some bios allow to choose "[voltage]level" or "edge" IRQ
detection. - not sure if and how that affects rt-linux. i use edge
detection.

assiging each letter to a different IRQ number and checking the output
of /proc/interrupts seems like a good idea. try IRQ 3,5,9,11 for example.

you might still be unlucky: the firewire device might share the "wire"
with some other [inconvenient] device(s).

robin