Re: [LAU] Fijuu2 and YouTube

From: dave <dave@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat Apr 21 2007 - 14:07:36 EEST

On Sat, 2007-04-21 at 10:55 +0800, Chris McCormick wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 20, 2007 at 08:40:30AM -0400, Dave Phillips wrote:
> > This looked interesting:
> > http://fijuu.com
> > Anyone here ever try it ?
> > I found it when I searched YouTube for "linux audio" and "linux music".
> > Btw, I'm running the nsplugin wrapper to get Flash in 64Studio's Firefox
> > (aka Iceweasel), it works perfectly.
>
> Hi Dave,
>
> I'm a huge fan of this software/art project. They use Blender for the
> interface and I beleive there is (or used to be) some Puredata in there.
> I was so impressed with the idea that I started something similar using
> Puredata and GEM:
> <http://mccormick.cx/projects/ergates/>
>
> To my mind, 3d game-like synthesizer interfaces are one way of keeping
> electronic music performance distinctively non-boring. I'm really excited
> about the future of this kind of stuff and similar things where audio
> artists collaborate with visual artists by sending their OSC packets to
> their 3d program. I guess it's like a more structured and planned
> version of what sometimes goes on in a livecoding situation.

fijuu and ergates do indeed indicate a new direction for a/v performance
- I like to see the visuals driving the music for a change :)

my contribution to this field is called al-jazari, a gamepad controlled
programmable robot music sequencer: http://www.pawfal.org/al-jazari/
I've only done one performance with it so far, but it went down quite
well, as I think it's a more inclusive take on livecoding

cheers,

dave

http://www.pawfal.org/dave