Re: [LAU] [OT] a paper about FOSS

From: Charles Linart <clinart@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Apr 24 2007 - 15:47:10 EEST

At first I thought this forum inappropriate for this discussion, but
as users/developers of FOSS, we are all threatened by the current IP
regime so I'll respond.

Time constraints prohibit intensive reading, but scanning produces the
following thoughts:

Overall, it's well written. The most interesting part was the
conclusion, in which you begin to form the hypothesis that restrictive
IP laws work against the free market by encouraging monopolistic
inertia. If the whole paper were more clearly devoted to fleshing out
that hypothesis, it could be an A+ bit of work.

One other bit of constructive criticism: The paper is light on
specifics -- would benefit from citing specific WTO/WIPO cases.