Re: [LAU] My first impulse response

From: Arnold Krille <arnold@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Apr 26 2007 - 19:39:10 EEST

Am Donnerstag, 26. April 2007 schrieb Fons Adriaensen:
> On Thu, Apr 26, 2007 at 04:53:31PM +0200, Arnold Krille wrote:
> > Fons: Thanks for that great software of yours! I am thinking about
> > lashifying jace. Anyone interested in this?
>
> Don't, for three reasons:
>
> - The code in jace is not designed to be reconfigured without restarting -
> the configuration is not dynamic. Trying to make it would be very hard.
> So the only thing Lash could ever save is the name of the config file
> that jace started with. Lash can then as well start jace with that config
> without any support from jace itself.

Well, that is what I had in mind in the first place: Have lash restart jace in
the same directory with the same config-file as in the lash-session saved.
That shouldn't be more than ~10 lines. (Would be less if you used Qt and my
new qlash-lib could be used ;-)

> - Jace is to be replaced soon by Aella (on which I'm working now). This
> will have a GUI, preset manangement etc. It will also offer zero-delay
> convolution for period sizes down to 64 frames, with much less CPU load
> than would be possible wiht jace. The difference is that Aella can use
> multiple partition sizes, very short ones for the first few ms and
> progressively longer ones later. It also offers a special reverb mode
> in which you have a short N_in * N_out convolution matrix for the early
> reflections, and a long 1 * N_out for the reverb tail, and also allows
> to modify the shape of the reverb while running. Aella preset files
> can refer to *.ald files created by Aliki.

WWOOWW!!!

/me is waiting... and trying to produce more IRs...

> - I will resist Lashification of any of my apps until the basic network
> protocol is fixed and documented, or until at least the Lash developers
> provide libraries that completely separate the protocol (encoding and
> decoding Lash messages) and the transport (sending and receiving them
> via the network). I do not want to depend on any libraries that will
> not integrate well with the application framework I'm using, and as
> long as these two functions are combined that will be the case.

Well, the problem is that nobody will do something as long as all the users
are satisfied. But if you used it for your apps (maybe only as an
experimental option to be activated separately) you had a voice as a
not-satisfied user. Its the same everywhere in the free programming world,
your voice (as a developer) counts more if you are actually helping...

BTW: As access to weapons is somehow restricted here in germany (and my wife
doesn't like me getting a toy gun either) I was thinking of creating the
pulse for IRs with some kind of a clapperboard or similar. These old things
we used in physical education come to my mind. Is that usable or should I
convince my wife to allow me a gas pistol or blank pistol?

Arnold

--
visit http://www.arnoldarts.de/
---