[LAU] Re: [Freepats] Breaking silence and the road to free musical instruments

From: Marcos Guglielmetti <marcospcmusica@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun May 06 2007 - 01:58:33 EEST

El Sáb 05 May 2007 22:53, Roberto Gordo Saez escribió:
 | On Fri, May 04, 2007 at 03:49:34AM +1000, Mark Constable wrote:
 | > Wow, this is exciting news. Well, any news is good, as it's been
 | > very quiet on this list, but this is particularly good news.
 |
 | Indeed, it's been very quiet on this list. There are only few
 | contributions and based on the responses I usually get, I know that main
 | offenders are all those "semi-free" soundfonts out there. They are the
 | real evil. People do not feel urged to contribute. They are discouraged
 | to produce real free soundfonts. Why bother?
 |
 | Creating instruments takes a lot of time, and is difficult to do. It is
 | a lot easier to download one of those General MIDI soundfonts available
 | everywhere. But it turns out that those soundfonts are also loaded with
 | unlicensed samples. It is very common to recognize samples from Emu,
 | Roland and others inside them.
 |
 | There are many people who cares about free software, being very picky
 | about licenses and imposed restrictions when using software; but
 | surprisingly enough, this same people usually chooses to ignore the
 | nasty restrictions, ugly agreements and the whole copyright law for
 | sounds or other works beside software, turning a blind eye, just like
 | if the problem had never existed. I've had some strong words with some
 | people at Debian for this reason.
 |
 | Months ago, Mark told me about an interesting orchestral sample
 | collection:
 | http://www.soundsonline.com/EWQLSO-Platinum-Bundle-pr-EW-155PROB1.html
 |
 | For those corrupted souls like myself who have cowardly installed the
 | proprietary flash plugin, please hit the play button to listen the
 | example. This is how a high end, good digital sample collection is
 | supposed to sound nowadays. The first time I've listened to it, I felt a
 | need to cry.
 |
 | Could be possible that we ever manage to build something similar with
 | free samples? And even if we get the opportunity, how many years could
 | we need to carefully record, process, balance and fine tune such an
 | enormous amount of samples? Maybe 10 years, 20 years... never? I'm
 | unable to answer those questions, but I can say what I will do.
 |
 | I was tempted to purchase those instruments, and still I am. I've
 | already purchased other proprietary samples in the past. While a price
 | about $3000 may seem a bit high, it is not uncommon for me to spend very
 | high quantities of money on hobbies, toys or other recreational
 | activities that are much less useful than a good sample collection. It
 | may be not a problem for me, just I need to buy those instruments,
 | possibly together with other sets like the GM kit from the same site,
 | and I will be happy. No need for spending lots of time making free
 | instruments, no need to care about fine tuning, and no need to wait
 | forever.
 |
 | But they are NOT FREE. And I'm not referring to the PRICE, I'm referring
 | to the FREEDOM. And yes, this is an annoyance for me, much more than the
> [...]

I liked your mail, it's one of the best I had ever readed (sorry again about
my fucking english)

Look: as more people uses Free Software as in freedom, there are more chances
that they think about freedom

I was testing you freedom piano soundfont yesterday, and I LIKE IT, we just
have to include some more layers, maybe only the bright one!! (and retouch
some things). I am too busy on making Musix GNU/Linux for now, but maybe I
could help.

And, then, we must search for students at university, artistic schools, etc.,
that could study and make soundfonts as a part of their studies... this would
be the best I think, so , experiences like Gustavo Chico in Spain should be
an example about how we can make it if we collaborate: we need more people
thinking about freedom, and, this issue needs some work and time.

--
Marcos Guglielmetti
* Director del desarrollo de Musix GNU+Linux, 100% Software Libre