Re: [LAU] New Linux Music

From: Rob <lau@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri May 11 2007 - 08:48:32 EEST

On Friday 11 May 2007, Ken Restivo wrote:
> I'm also amazed that you got Zyn to behave so well on a 1.1Ghz
> P3.

That's one thing I don't understand about softsynths nowadays.
10 years ago I was using a program called Vaz that emulated a
3-oscillator analog synth with portamento and ring mod and other
nifty stuff, and ran without a hiccup on my 100MHz 486 box
running Win95. I know Zyn (like other modern softsynths) is
capable of doing a lot more, but shouldn't it be able to do a
monophonic two-oscillator synth on a P3 of any speed without
hiccupping and without needing to install unofficial kernel
patches and whatnot?

Tempting to try and find a copy of Vaz to see how it would
perform under Wine.

Rob