Re: [LAU] Generic Linux keyboard

From: Rob <lau@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun May 20 2007 - 20:29:29 EEST

On Sunday 20 May 2007, Julien Claassen wrote:
> Nop, MIDI is most certainly not the right kind of protocol
> for this purpose.

You could actually do a lot of what he wants via SysEx, but you'd
need control over the firmware on the keyboard in order to get
it done. I don't know of any MIDI controllers with open
firmware.

I think the closest we'll get in the foreseeable future (without
spending 4 grand on a full-blown Lionstracs workstation that
already has a Linux PC inside it) is some kind of preset
configurations for common MIDI controllers, templates or cheat
sheets for those controllers, and maybe even some kind of MIDI
middleware app that translates particular MIDI controller
messages into instructions for controlling different Linux audio
apps, maybe loading "presets" through LASH.

When I have some free time I hope to set something like that up
for my PCR-30, maybe not the last part but certainly the first
two, and obviously I'll post whatever I do.

Rob