Re: [LAU] Advice on hardwware components

From: Alexandre DENIS <contact@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon May 21 2007 - 18:46:55 EEST

On Monday 21 May 2007, david wrote:
> Michael Nelson wrote:
> > I'm interested in using a CompactFlash-to-SATA adapter, and booting
> > from a CF card. Does anyone know what the speed/reliability would
> > be like?
>
> I think it would be pretty slow - my CF cards seem to give only
> 5-6MB/sec transfer. Even my slowest hard drives run a LOT faster than
> that.

The new Samsung NSSD achieve much better performance: read=53MB/s,
write=30MB/s with 0.24ms access time.
<http://www.samsung.com/Products/Semiconductor/FlashSSD/ModuleType.htm>

> Plus - CF has a limited lifespan when it comes to writing to the
> card.

Modern SSD all use Wear Leveling to improve the lifespan, to get
actually better results than hard disks now.

The only drawback to SSD is the price: 600EUR for 32GB is not really
cheap.

-a.