Re: [LAU] Awful noise out of FA-66 -- SOLVED

From: Paul Winkler <pw_lists@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri May 25 2007 - 17:42:00 EEST

On Fri, May 25, 2007 at 10:48:09AM +1000, Loki Davison wrote:
> On 5/25/07, Ken Restivo <ken@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
> >The problem was the power supply.
> >
> >Any advice on brands/distributors of good *quiet* laptop power supplies?
> >The
> >cheap-ass "Delta Electronics" supply (19v, 3.6A) that came with the laptop
> >obviously sucks, and the only other 19v laptop power supplies I have around
> >here are only 1.8A.
> >
> >- -ken
>
> Have you tried groundlifting the power supply? Worked for me... until
> i found a better solution, throwing out the laptop and getting a
> desktop. ;)

I've also found that to help sometimes. But lifting ground can be
unsafe. You never want your own body to be the best available path to
ground!

So if lifting the ground works, this might be a safer solution
(haven't tried one yet): http://www.ebtechaudio.com/humxdes.html

OTOH, I found this comment about that device on rec.audio.pro:
"To isolate safety ground requires a real isolation transformer, which
is neither small nor cheap."

and a bit more googling turned up this:
http://reviews.harmony-central.com/reviews/Effects/product/Ebtech/Hum-X/10/1

--