Re: [LAU] Laptop for realtime audio

From: Marcos Guglielmetti <marcospcmusica@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri May 25 2007 - 21:38:43 EEST

El Sábado, 12 de Mayo de 2007 19:22, Ken Restivo escribió:
 | On Sat, May 12, 2007 at 05:09:51PM +0200, Lars Luthman wrote:
 | > I'm thinking about getting a laptop, and of course I want one that I can
 | > run jackd and friends on with reasonable performance. I really don't
 | > know much about hardware in general and laptops in particular, so I was
 | > wondering if anyone had any advice. This is what I'm looking for:
 | >
 | > * Mainboard / sound / CPU etc working well with recent RT-patched
 | > kernels.
 | >
 | > * S/PDIF out, at least 16 bits, 48kHz, stereo. Inputs are not
 | > important, ADC/DAC quality is not important.
 | >
 | > * DVD+-RW burner.
 | >
 | > * jackd running without xruns with ~10ms latency (when using S/PDIF
 | > out at 48kHz).
 | >
 | > * Room for plenty of RAM (at least 2 GB).
 | >
 | > * Not too expensive ( < 1000???).
 | >
 | > Any suggestions?
 |
 | Don't get the one I have (ASUS Z96F). It's a nice machine,
 | easily-expandable, and it was a great price, but the interrupt routing
 | really sucks for audio: way too many shared interrupts. Most of the Intel
 | Core 2 Duo "Napa" based motherboards (i.e. Mac Mini) seem to have similar
 | interrupt-sharing limitations. They also have the miserable hda-intel
 | sound chip.
 |
 | If I had to buy a laptop again, I'd bring a Linux livecd into a computer
 | shop or discount store, and walk around trying every single goddamned
 | machine there, doing "cat /proc/interrupts" and "lspci" on every one, and
 | buy the one that doesn't have brain-dead shared interrupts or unsupported
 | (Ricoh) chips.
 |
 | I wish there were an online database of /proc/interrupts, lspci, and
 | dmiinfo output for all laptops.

That idea is a good one.

Into Musix we have only a few...

/root/Mis_Documentos_GNU-Linux/otros-textos/hardware-compatible/

Regards,

 | -ken

     `&'
      #           Marcos Guglielmetti
      #   Musix GNU+Linux, 100% Software Libre
     _#_       http://www.musix.org.ar/en
     (#)
    / O \    + archivos: ftp://musix.ourproject.org/pub/musix/
   ( === )   Ecología: http://autosus.wordpress.com/
    `---'