Re: [LAU] JACK MIDI - where? how?

From: carmen <_@email-addr-hidden-your.name>
Date: Tue Jun 05 2007 - 03:12:28 EEST

On Mon Jun 04, 2007 at 06:20:44PM -0500, Josh Lawrence wrote:
> On 6/4/07, Dmitry Baikov <dsbaikov@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
> > On 6/4/07, carmen <_@email-addr-hidden-your.name> wrote:
> > > to get jackd to see your alsa midi devices, you have to do some extra
> > work. namely use http://subversion.jackaudio.org/jack/branches/midi/jack
> > and add the -X flag to jackd initiation (i could only get raw working)
> >
> > Midi driver is the the trunk already :)
> > http://subversion.jackaudio.org/jack/trunk
>
> so just to make sure I understand you correctly, to get jack midi
> working on my box I would need to completely uninstall the debian
> version and install from source, correct?

no.. you can install your version in parallel - typical user compiled software ends up in /usr/local/ by default, and /usr/local/bin is usually in $PATH before /usr/bin.

what this means is you shouldnt have to uninstall anything, at most you wil need to add /usr/local/bin to your PATH variable.

you probably dont even need to compile jackd if you dont want alsa-midi (and are using a bridge like alsaseq2jackmidi)