Re: [LAU] Proposal: OpenDAWS (long)

From: David Baron <d_baron@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Jun 07 2007 - 15:53:21 EEST

On Wednesday 06 June 2007, Rob wrote:
> On Wednesday 06 June 2007, Paul Davis wrote:
> > I'm not entirely sure what your objections are. I have the whole
> > AAF spec in front of me, downloaded for free. The BBC has been
>
> It's true that developers who want input into the spec have to pony
> up, but IIRC the same is true with the ODF spec. Employees of Sun
> and IBM and other OASIS members listen to community input, but it's
> still their ball game.
>
> It looks like the AAF guys are at least paying lip service to open
> source software. They claim to have an "open-source API", and I know
> someone's already written an input plugin for Ardour so it can't be
> too GPL-incompatible.
>
> Google failed me on this, but the Linux Sound Apps page pointed me in
> the right direction.
>
> http://www.aafassociation.org

Went there.
Easily downloaded a bunch of pdf documentation.
Links to sourceforege and got stuff from there.

An input plugin for Ardour, if not really GPL, can be distributed as source.
Just like to use Ardour with VST, one must compile it with one's own copy of
Steinberg's SDK. Cannot distribute binaries.