[LAU] [OT] MIT Open Courseware informal study group?

From: Paul Winkler <pw_lists@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Jun 07 2007 - 23:43:18 EEST

Hi folks,

The following has nothing to do with audio, or even with Linux per se,
but I think of you as the right sort of people to be interested in
something like this :-) Feel free to write me off-list and we can take
the discussion elsewhere.

I've been programming professionally for about 8 years. I'm
self-taught. Lately I've been wishing I had a better grasp of computer
science fundamentals, but I can't afford the time or money to attend a
degree program. But hey, MIT has most of their academic materials
online for free - including textbooks, class notes, and lecture
videos!

The problem with doing it alone in my spare time is that there are too
many other things competing for my attention. I think it would help a
lot to have an online discussion group - a group that commits to
finish* a given course in a certain number of weeks, and can help each
other stay motivated, and help each other with difficult concepts,
etc. By "finish" I mean: watch every lecture, read the texts, and
complete every assignment.

Is anybody else interested in something like that?

I'd propose to start at the beginning, with the introductory scheme
course:
http://ocw.mit.edu/OcwWeb/Electrical-Engineering-and-Computer-Science/6-001Spring-2005/CourseHome/index.htm

(btw, I got this idea from hearing about some people doing something similar
with Knuth's "Art of Computer Programming" books. but of course now I
can't find a relevant link.)

--
Paul Winkler
http://www.slinkp.com