Re: [LAU] Proposal: OpenDAWS (long)

From: Julien Claassen <julien@email-addr-hidden-lab.de>
Date: Fri Jun 08 2007 - 00:35:59 EEST

Hi Nick!
  I must agree with Paul. From all I've read, it looks very much, that is
opensource, or close enough, so we can use it.
  Why stifle opensource developmen? I don't think it is stifling opensource
development, but maybe advertising it. Because: This AAF seems to be used by a
few people, maybe even by some comercial DAW, if not it might be and the
probability of a comercial DAW using AAF than a re-invented wheel by us, that
will in addition take a lot of time to get a "production/stable" state, is
much higher. So if we could agree to use it, as ardour apparently already
does, it will be sooner rather than later, that people are able to load their
cubase or cakewalk projects into ardour and audacity and back again. Don't you
see? Besides, it makes porting easier, becasue this AAF already exists on
quite a few platforms. So it will be much better and faster to get an ardour
under windows. the poeple, that aren't quite convinced of the linux opensource
idea will first try to get some tool on their native system, which in a lot of
"sad" cases is windows. but if they see it works there, then their decision to
trade their windows for a linux or freebsd will be easier and they can also
spread it.
  Besides, I believe that there are/or at least were, a few apps and libs,
which were developed by other big companies. We still used it or use it. Last
but not least, if their code is on sf.net, it would be sufficient for me. For
I believe, when I registered my own project there, they stated, that only
projects with an osi license were allowed to register.
  Well if you're still pissed, I can't help it either. And there wasn't a real
attempt to stifle "opensource development", there was just a lot of good
reasoning, why we could skip this development. In my book it just said; There
already is the software you need, in the way you can use it. So you can still
go ahead, but if this suffices, you can safe yourself and others the time do
it.
  Kindest regards
       Julienj

--------