Re: [LAU] Migrating to 64-bit

From: david <gnome@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Jun 26 2007 - 07:28:10 EEST

Thomas Ilnseher wrote:
> Am Samstag, den 23.06.2007, 10:35 -1000 schrieb david:
>> Hmm, the Atheros wireless chipsets seem to have good support in
>> general
> I have an abit airpace (desktop wlan card) with an atheros chipset.
> 02:00.0 Ethernet controller: Atheros Communications, Inc. AR5006EG
> 802.11 b/g Wireless PCI Express Adapter (rev 01)
>
> I could not get this to work.
>
> the hal refuses to load on this chipset, cause the subsystem IDs (!!)
> are not known to it. openhal doesn't support it, so also no luck.

Hmmm, I never went through HAL for wireless support. I downloaded and
compiled the WiFi drivers. But I don't have that chipset or 64-bit
hardware - the 64-bit hardware might be the source of the problem.

> the last resort was ndiswrapper, so i tried to d/l some generic xp64
> drivers for this chipset, but you guessed - it also doesn't work.

Probably a victim of trying to run 32-bit software (ndiswrapper) under
64-bit Linux. Or is there a 64-bit version of ndiswrapper?

> and i can't use the original drivers from abit, cause they were smart
> enough to stick all files in an installshield sfx. unshield doesn't
> work,

Perhaps orange would?

> and under wine explains me that it it found no drivers.

WINE is 32-bit, perhaps it's looking for 32-bit drivers, not 64-bit.

Sounds like 64-bit doesn't quite have as much driver support as it should.

--
David
gnome@email-addr-hidden