Re: [LAU] Steinway_IMIS2 soundfont

From: Marcos Guglielmetti <marcospcmusica@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Jul 04 2007 - 02:28:38 EEST

El Martes, 3 de Julio de 2007 11:40, Adam Sampson escribió:
 | Marcos Guglielmetti <marcospcmusica@email-addr-hidden> writes:
 | > Hey, it's a really nice song, I was listening to it 20 times or so,
 | > I will show it to my friends.
 |
 | Thank you. :) And likewise to the others who've commented -- glad you
 | liked it.

Marian (a friend) liked your voice, the song, and the liryc: could you publish
the lyric?

I cant promise, but I would like to play a version of the song, at leas some
part of it, into one of our essays .

 | > * midi controller (midi keyboard)?
 |
 | It's a Studiologic SL 990 Pro, which is a piano-sized weighted
 | keyboard. It was cheap and feels nice to play, but it has the downside
 | that its key action is very loud -- you can hear it thumping away on
 | the main vocal track on the recording.

It seems to be fine :)

I have a Kaway Spectra KC10: just shit. But my mother has a Korg SP100, so
sometimes I can play into a "real" piano

 | > * mic and mixer console?
 |
 | Behringer B-1 and UB1002FX. (But the mixer's only being used as a mic
 | preamp in this case; all the real mixing's done in Ardour.)
 |
 | > * software? did you added some reverb? (it seems not)

I mean to the sf2, not to the voice.

 | > * why didnt you used a gate for the voice channel?
 |
 | There's a little bit of reverb and compression on the original, but it
 | was a pretty quick recording so I didn't spend much time mixing it...
 |
 | Here's a "morning after version" with some more tweaking -- added
 | gates and reverb for the vocal tracks as you suggested:
 | http://offog.org/music/sunburnt-v2.ogg

It sounds great (I like both reverberated and dry voices, but I would not
suggest to add reverb to your main voice, but, sure, its your choice)

Sometimes: Dry=intimate

I think that the song is "intimate"

 | > Also: do you feel that the FF layer should start sounding at lower MIDI
 | > velocities, I mean, when you press the keyboard with lesser power?
 |
 | I think if anything it's a bit *too* sensitive at the moment -- I had
 | to turn the velocity sensitivity down on my keyboard to avoid
 | triggering the ff layer all the time.

Fine. Maybe we could make different versions, and the people will just choice

 | > Do you think that the MF layer should sound brighter?
 | > Do you think it needs a PP layer?
 |
 | The mf layer sounds fine to me. I'm all in favour of having more
 | ability to play quietly, though. ;)

Fine

 | > BTW: where are you from?
 |
 | Canterbury in the UK.

"Too much rain" (a song from Chaos and creation... from McCartney)

 | > BTW2: I like short nights ;) Now here in Argentina the sun is down
 | > at 18hs and it's a little bit sad.
 |
 | Heh -- oddly enough since I wrote the song a couple of weeks ago, it's
 | been raining pretty much continuously here...

Well, I think you english people should move to Canarias.

 | Thanks very much,

To you. I hope you can test the new soundfont version (I worked on this server
using ssh and pysf and I didnt tried the soundfont yet)

PS: the above words about Canarias... just a joke!

--
     `&'
      #    Marcos Guglielmetti, co-director de